Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wilderness show at Auguste Clown Gallery

I recently had the great pleasure of attending the opening night of the Wilderness show at Auguste Clown Gallery. A fabulous exhibition, it featured 50 different pieces from local and international artists, and focused on the exploration of an untamed world.



Here are some snaps of my favourite pieces:

Kristen Egan's 'Swarm'
Heather Gargon's 'Home Is Inside Me' and 'Wish Bat'
Lana Crooks' 'Heart Of The Forest #2' and 'Study in Monochrome'
Jordan Elise's 'Crowned Foxolotl'
Cody Williams' 'Alp'
However, the main drawcard for the show, the one featured on all of the promotional material, and the one I made a beeline for as soon as I arrived, was the utterly gorgeous new Mab Graves painting, 'The Entomologist's Daughter'. It was even more beautiful in person, and I loved having the opportunity to get up close to admire its intricate details. 


Mab Graves' 'The Entomologist's Daughter'
This beauty was not the only Mab piece in the show - she also contributed two of her incredible Cabinets of Curiosities. Mab "has always loved the insect specimen shadow boxes in curio collections, but the little girl in [her] felt terrible that they were murdered bugs! [She] decided [she] wanted to make totally death-free (guilt free!) specimens that still upheld that creepy feeling, and spent hours and hours researching insect species and painting them. Each one also has a teeny tiny Victorian 'lover's eye' mourning cameo set into its back." 

Mab's butterflies were beautiful, but I was completely smitten with the 'Cabinet of Curiosities Specimen No. 132' as soon as I laid eyes upon it. 


Mab Graves' 'Cabinet of Curiosities Specimen No. 131' and 'Cabinet of Curiosities Specimen No. 132'

I had no plans to purchase anything that night. I was attending for the pure pleasure of seeing all these wonderful works in person. Besides, I assumed everything would already have been sold. Sure enough, little red stickers had been placed next to almost all of my favourites by the time I arrived. 

Except for Specimen No. 132. 


 Mab Graves' 'Cabinet of Curiosities Specimen No. 132'

I really enjoyed checking out the other excellent works in the show, but kept glancing over at this box - particularly whenever the gallery's lovely owner, Leigh Cornish, moved anywhere near it. 

Hubby noticed these furtive glances, and said something that made my heart smile: "I had planned to get you something else for your birthday, but I can see how much you're loving this piece. Should we ask if it's still available?" Aww, what an incredibly sweet thought! I didn't think it very likely, but I crossed my feathers tightly just in case.

We headed over to the counter to speak to Leigh. "Hi, loving the show. Is there any chance that Mab cabinet is still available?" 

Please say yes, please say yes… 

"As a matter of fact - it is! Shall we go over and place the red sticker underneath it together?" 

Eeeeeeeeeeeep! 

Leigh peeled off that little red circle of joy and stuck it on the wall next to Specimen No. 132, then went back to the counter with my hubby. I stayed with the bugs, beaming, honoured to be the new owner of an original piece created with love by an artist whose work I absolutely adore.

My beautiful beetle box now hangs proudly in my hall, on a wall panel that seems to have been made for it. It makes me smile whenever I look at it.


Mab Grave's 'Cabinet of Curiosities Specimen No. 132' hanging in my hallway

Thank you Mab, thank you dear husband, thank you Leigh at Auguste Clown - you have all made me a very happy little 'mingo indeed!

18 comments:

  1. It looks like it was an amazing show and I'm thrilled for you that you managed to snag an original, Gothic Flamingo! A very happy birthday, indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Insomniac! It was a fabulous show and I still can't quite believe I own a Mab original, I'm incredibly lucky! A particularly fabulous birthday this year :D

      I hope everything is going well with you, and that you have a ball at Calgary Comic Con next weekend - I'm sure you will! ❤

      Delete
  2. Eeeeeeeeep! It all looks fantastic! I'm so disappointed to have missed the show, but you've given me loads of vicarious pleasure from your visit to the gallery and all the splendid details of the evening! :D

    Specimen No. 132 was fated to be yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad you couldn't make the show too Emma, I think you would have really enjoyed it, but I'm happy to have provided you with vicarious pleasure! :D

      I think you're right - fate brought the bugs and I together, and I love that ❤

      Delete
  3. What a great show :) all of these pieces look fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was Sophie! A fantastic collection of works from some incredibly talented people - loved it! :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your purchase! What a lot of great stuff! I like the Foxolotl - he was kinda cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lexa! I liked the Foxolotl too, very cute and beautifully made - if you'd like to check out more of Jordan's work (her 'Horrible Adorables'!), here is the link to her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HorribleAdorables :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, that exhibition is amazing! I love all those whimsical creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're wonderful aren't they, Linnea-Maria?! It was such a great show! :)

      Delete
  6. It looks like this was an interesting exhibition indeed. I'm glad you got the bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nightwind, I'm glad I got the bugs too! They're absolutely gorgeous, I love them :)

      Delete
  7. You lucky girl! I am so happy for you! You have a great hubby ;o) It looks fantastic in your home ;o) I would have loved to go to this show! Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Magic Love Crow! I'm very lucky! You're such a sweetheart - big hugs to you too! ❤

      Delete
  8. OMG! Kristen Egan's 'Swarm ist so fantastic... I want some of these creatures!!! The others are great, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is brilliant isn't it, MK?! They were being sold individually at the show, so you might still be able to pick up a few of the drones, and maybe even the queen! Here is Kristen Egan's website if you'd like to ask her, or check out more of her work :) http://www.kristenegan.com/artwork_by_Kristen_Egan/NEW_home.html

      Delete